Friday, March 28, 2008

Genealogy Kitchen Sink

Last week there was a gala at the local library. It was a chance for genealogist to participate in a show and tell. They called it the Genealogy Kitchen sink. That's about what it was. They brought everything imaginable.

I went to it with my Mom (the genealogist), my Aunt Cheri and my nine year old daughter. We had tables set up with things that might interest genealogist. Mom brought some new books, old documents, and family treasures. My aunt had two tables with displays on photo enhancement and manipulation. The highlight was my daughter who with the help of her grandmother had filled in her family album with names, dates, locations and photos. It ws given to her in December by the North Platte Genealogical Society members when she was Junior Hostess at the Christmas brunch. I think this is a great way to get young people involved in appreciating their heritage.

One of the members brought a display of photographs spanning generations. The family members returned to the same housses to have photographs taken many years later. That is a good way to prserve memories and also share at reunions.

The secretary of the genealogy society had an interesting desplay of photographs and documents she had purchase don eBay. They were all family members and from an estate sale. I can't imagine how shocked she was when she saw them for sale one eBay. Maybe we should all check eBay more often.

I enjoyed visiting with the genealogists, sharing in Mom's delight at the good turn out and also telling them about my blog. My Mom has a blog also...Genealogy Lines. Everybody check it out!

Have another great week searching or just lovin' the genealogist in your family!

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne, what an interesting blog on "Growing Up Genealogy." I visited your Mom's blog and she told me about yours. I've seen quite a few genealogy blogs, but none from a family member of a genealogist. Look forward to reading more of your blog.

    I invite you to visit my blogs also.

    www.findyourfolks.blogspot.com

    www.professordru.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete